Oakes, ND
sweets and storiesmain street oakes

« Previous Page

Building Permit or Variance Request

A building permit is required for any alterations or additions to a permanent or accessory structure, any new construction, concrete work, storage buildings, decks, fences, and renovations that change the original footprint of the structure.  A building permit is not required for maintenance projects such as siding, windows, door replacements, etc.  The applicant must have area marked according to submitted plans, and Building Official will review.  Work must be completed within one year of the approval date and no work may start until application has been approved by the City Council.  EXCEPTION:  Fences, decks, and porches may begin construction with Public Works/Building Official approval. 

Application must be submitted at least one week prior to City Council meeting to be placed on agenda for approval.

All documents below are in PDF format.

Zoning Ordinance Reminders.pdf

Variances, to vary or adapt the strict application of any of the requirements of the zoning ordinances in the case of exceptionally irregular, narrow, shallow or steep lots, or other exceptional physical conditions, whereby such strict application would result in practical difficulty or unnecessary hardship that would deprive the owner of the reasonable use of the land or building involved.  In granting any variance, the City Council shall prescribe any conditions that it deems to be necessary or desirable.

The Mayor shall appoint 2 members of the City Council to review all application for variances. The City Council shall act in strict accordance with the procedure specified by law and by this chapter.  Should the members find the variance within the general purpose, scope and intent of the City’s public policies, no public hearing shall be required.  Notice to public or neighboring properties will be completed by Council requests.

All appeals and applications made to the City Councilshall be in writing or on forms prescribed by the City Council.  Every appeal or application shall refer to the specific provision of the ordinance involved, and shall exactly set forth the interpretation that is claimed, the use for which the special permit is sought, or the details of the variance that is applied for and the grounds on which it is claimed that the variance should be granted, as the case may be.  The City Council shall have the final authority to grant or deny all variances.

City Water Report

  • Pay Utility Bill
  • Pay Utility Bill
  • Chamber of Commerce
  • Contact City Hall
  • Summer Rec Forms
  • Oakes School

Latest News & Updates

Posted on 07-05-2018

Posted on 06-15-2018

Posted on 06-15-2018

View All News & Updates

Stay Connected

(Oakes Chamber Facebook)

(City of Oakes Facebook)

City Forms

Looking for a city form? Want to check out the latest city minutes?

Simply click the "view forms" button below to check out a variety of forms available online.

If you can't find what you are looking for, please call City Hall at 701-742-2137.

View Forms

Popular Pages

Business DirectoryCity FormsEmploymentCalendarIrrigation DaysSummer Rec Forms

Copyright © 2013-2020 Oakes Area Chamber of Commerce & it's licensors.